Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Cherry Coconut Granola

Did you visit Bunny Jean's Decor and More blog last week?
She challenged everyone to be inspired
by the theme "No Buy July"
and post no cost projects to today's Bunny Hop linky party.


With that in mind, I immediately thought of those items 
in my pantry purchased some time ago and not yet used up. 


The partially used container of pecans ...
The unopened bag of coconut ... 
The dried cherries brought back from Northern Michigan ... 


Time to open those bags and bottles
and marry the flavors with a few pantry staples.


What immediately came to mind was granola.
The recipe I've used in the past calls for wheat germ.  
Don't have that ingredient.


A Google search for coconut granola recipes
led me to a blog by Jamie, who has a baking addiction.
Her granola recipe featured almonds and dried cranberries
in addition to the coconut.  Perfect.
A few substitutions of ingredients and I'm good to go.


But, my container of old-fashioned oats doesn't have four cups!


In the true spirit of "No Buy July"
I decided making a half recipe would be the solution.
I still ended up with two tubs of yummy granola.
More than enough for the two of us to enjoy several breakfasts
with milk or sprinkled over yogurt and fruit!



Although I made half a recipe,
those of you with larger families
may be better served using the full recipe.
Here is Jamie's recipe substituting cherries and pecans.


Cherry Coconut Granola
INGREDIENTS:
4 cups old-fashioned oats
3/4 cup shredded coconut
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 cup honey
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup dried cherries
1/2 cup chopped pecans
DIRECTIONS:
1. In a large bowl, combine oats, pecans and coconut; set aside.
2. In a saucepan, combine brown sugar, oil, honey, maple syrup and cinnamon; bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and stir in vanilla.
3. Pour over oat mixture; stir to coat. Spread in a large shallow baking pan.
4. Bake at 350°F for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool.
5. Add raisins and dried cherries. Store in an airtight container.

Until next time, live and love well.


Sharing with 
Show Off Friday at What-About
The Bunny Hop at Bunny Jean's Decor and More
You're Gonna Love It Tuesday at Kathe with an E


This forum reveals random thoughts and reflections on topics of interest and events impacting the life of the founder of Doll in the Looking Glass.  Our boutique specializes in custom designed dolls that look like your child. We also design toddler and baby dolls that look real using vinyl doll components manufactured in Midland, Michigan USA by Apple Valley Doll Works.  The goal of Doll in the Looking Glass is to delight our customers with our creations.  We would love to create a special doll for you!

3 comments:

Bunny Jean said...

Hi Debra!

I love granola sprinkled over yogurt... even vanilla ice cream.

All these ingredients are favorites of mine. I have all but the cherries... but I do have dried cranberries. I think that might just work!

But alas, there are no nuts in the house... except for me :/

Thanks for sharing at my party :)

xoxo Bunny Jean
Wednesday's Bunny Hop!

Little Susie Home Maker said...

Oh my gosh! This looks so good! I would love it on my Greek plain yogurt. I have to copy down this and try it. But I don't have all the ingredients on hand. Very clever of you to come up with the idea of granola. Thanks for this recipe.
Blessings,
Susie

Nicole said...

I love the "No Buy July" idea. It's a great way to use up stuff you don't really want to and surprise yourself by inventing some new and amazing recipes. Thank you so much for stopping by. I always enjoy your visits!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...